The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may follow all the words of the law.
Deuteronomy 29:29

Thursday, July 24, 2008

I realize my blog is rarely deep or spiritual in nature. It's mostly musings and photos of the boys for the benefit of my mom and mother in law. But today I want to take a moment and tell you something God did for me this week. It's not huge in the grand scheme of the entire world, but it something He did for me personally, something special meant for just me. I realize it is so easy for me to think of God in terms of the Owner and CEO of the World. I forget that he calls himself our Abba Father (translation: "Daddy") or our bridegroom. Those are very personal relationships, so why am I surprised when He does something so personal for me? So, the following involves answers to prayer...

I've been missing my parents this Summer and really longing for some time to sit on the back deck, drink a chai latte and chat with my mom. But they live in Idaho. And we live in Colorado. It's about a sixteen hour drive. Maybe three-less-kids ago and gas about two bucks less a gallon we could have jaunted up there for a long weekend, but it was looking like there was no seeing the folks anytime soon. So I felt like I should at least tell God the desire of my heart. Not really asking, but telling him my desire to see my parents. Would you believe my mom called two days later and this was the conversation?

Mom: Do you and the boys want to fly up for a visit? Me: Sure, but how's that going to happen? Mom: Well, we have some frequent flyer miles and I need to book them by the end of the month. So... God answered the desire of my heart and I get to see my mom in a few weeks!

The second thing God did for me is really much more silly. Last Tuesday I woke up dying for some coffee. But I couldn't run out and through the Starbucks drive-thru because I had a friend showing up for Bible Study in 30 minutes and the boys needed breakfast. I didn't want to make a HOT pot of coffee because it was about 95 degrees outside. I thought, "God, this is crazy, but you know I would LOVE an iced-coffee right now so could you put in on Hollie's heart to stop and get us some on her way over here?" I know, crazy!! I didn't text or call her because I thought that would just be rude. Well!! Thirty minutes later, Hollie is standing at my door with one Iced-Grande-Half Caf-Light Cream-2 Splenda-Americano!! It was the yummiest coffee I've ever had!!

I realize there is not a lot of deep theology in those moments, but it made me stop and remember what a personal God I have and how much he cares about the little things in my life. How much He loves to romance and take care of his children!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Deborah--that's really neat. I'm SO glad you get to see your parents! That's awesome! Would love to join you for some coffee too. Love ya! Kristie

Anonymous said...

SOOOOO cool! I also forget that God is personal and cares about me in a personal way! I am so excited that you will get to spend some time with your parents! That will be so special!