The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may follow all the words of the law.
Deuteronomy 29:29

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

It Finally Happened...

Caleb clobbered Daniel.

I realize it's not an event to celebrate, but I knew it was coming and it was so shocking when it finally happened. Daniel is... let's say... less than gentle with Caleb. That's fine. He's a boy. They're brothers. It's bound to happen. We intervene when it gets malicious. But we have continually warned Daniel that one day Caleb is going to fight back -- so beware!

I happened upon a squabble over some sort of transportation vehicle -- a truck, train, bull dozer -- all of which are a source of competition in our home these days. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Daniel take the vehicle from Caleb. At this point, Caleb usually screams and looks to me for intervention. However, on this day he decided to take matters into his own hands. He gave Daniel a 21 pounder, mighty shove! And seemed quite pleased with himself.


Then of course Daniel shoved back. Caleb started to scream. Discipline for both insued. I had a whole other set of issues on hand. But deep down I thought, "Good for you, Caleb!"

What was that prayer about them being brothers who would lay their lives down for the other...
And actually I have seen an example of that already. An older kid (3 yrs?) shoved Caleb while we were playing at the McDonalds playplace. Daniel ran right over and shoved the older kid and gave him a tongue lashing for touching his little brother. Not that Daniel's actions were morally right (and I did deal with them), but it was sweet to see him stand up on Caleb's behalf.

No comments: